Monday, October 15, 2012

Today, Just take ONE step (that's all)

So back to February 2007. I remember that I had spent months (or even years) up to this point trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life. 

I wrote to do lists, pros and cons of different paths to take, and read What Color is My Parachute? I was pooped - totally mentally exhausted and drained from all of it. 

I've often found that right when you're about to lose it, something miraculous happens. The Universe (or God or a higher source - however you may see it) steps in and basically says, "It's OK. I got you."

And that's exactly what happened. I was freaking out and an opportunity presented itself.

One day, while I was organizing my mom's walk-in closet, she said 5 words that ultimately changed my life forever:

"You should start a business."

Now, many times, when your mom says something to you, you don't listen - or at least I don't. But this time, for whatever reason, whether it was because I was overwhelmed or at my breaking point or the stars were aligned, I went for it. 

Of course, I probably first responded with high levels of doubt and hesitation. But I knew that this was a life preserver being thrown my way, and it was my choice to reach for it or keep treading the water. 

Now, I didn't know the first thing about starting a business. I didn't know what it meant or what it looked like, and I didn't have friends who were business owners. I was 100% clueless. 

That said, the idea of continuing to feel purposeless and directionless felt considerably scarier than pursuing something that I knew nothing about. 

So this is what I did. I took one step. Really. One single step. And then another. 

My mom took me to Barnes and Noble and she bought me a bunch of organizing books. Then I started googling companies that would certify me in professional organizing. Then I signed up for one of them. Now whether I would take the same steps now or not doesn't really matter in telling the story. 

The point is, that I took one step at a time, and I just kept moving. 

Maybe you've been thinking about starting your own business, or you recently started one, or you've had one for a little while, but feel stuck and need to figure out how to get more clients and make more money asap. Wherever you are right now is totally okay. 

If you're reading this newsletter, it's probably because you know deep down that you need some additional support and guidance. You know that whatever you're doing right now isn't totally working for you. And that's totally okay too. 

Today, just take one step. Let's set up a 30 minute complimentary Business Strategy Session for you and me to talk about what's going on for you right now, where you want to go, and how you can get there. I don't believe in coincidences, and I know that you're reading this today for a reason. I only have a limited number of spots available, so be sure to sign up asap. So excited to speak with you soon!

Want to receive this article delivered directly to your inbox every week? (Plus you'll receive your Free Five Day Mini Course: The 5 Secrets You Must Know to Be Your Own Boss") Sign up here to receive them starting next Monday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment