Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How I made my first $10,000 month

A few years ago, I made $10,000 in one month for the first time. And the crazy thing is, I knew it was going to happen. 

I remember people asking me what I did differently. Did I meditate every day when I got up? How many networking events did I go to? Did something unusual happen to bring me that money?

The answer to all of these questions is no. I didn't meditate everyday, I have no idea how many events I went to, and nothing out of the ordinary happened. 

So, how then did I know that I would make $10,000?

It wasn't anything magical or exciting. It was something very simple, and yet very powerful.

I made a decision. 


I decided that I was going to make $10,000 at the beginning of the month and I became so sure of it happening that I didn't allow for any other alternative to enter my mind. 

I remember I grabbed a piece of computer paper and drew my version of a money thermometer - you know the kind you see when you're on someone's fundraising page? 

So I grab this piece of paper and I mark $1000, $2000, $3000 along the sides of the thermometer - you get the picture. And I had a green marker nearby to fill in the thermometer as I made more money. 

Then, on the side, I would write down the source of the money (whether it be clients, friends, "random" checks in the mail) and how much money came in from each source. 

By the 15th of that month, I had made $8000 and by the end of that month I had made almost $12,000. 
I had never done this before. I never even came close. 

I think what had happened was that I got exasperated. I was tired of struggling and feeling overwhelmed and helpless. 

Enough was enough.

I tacked my money thermometer onto my bulletin board next to my desk and I looked at it everyday, planning and expecting to color in more green. 

The other thing I did was that I took action on EVERY opportunity that came my way. Not some opportunities. Not most opportunities. EVERY opportunity. If I heard of a networking event, I went. If a prospective client called, I followed up immediately. Every single time the Universe extended its hand, I grabbed it quickly, decisively, and with much gratitude. 

Now it's your turn.

Here are 3 steps you can take to make December your first (or simply another) $10,000 month. (Eeeeee! How exciting would that be?)

1. Track your money. Know *exactly* how much is coming in and going out. Whether you do it on a spreadsheet or by hand doesn't matter. Update your budget daily. Keep track of everything that you buy. Keep track of every cent that comes in (yes, every single cent). And while you're doing all of this feel grateful for the money you spend and feel grateful for the money you receive.

2. Keep your eyes open for opportunities. There are always opportunities right in front of you that will give you everything you want and more. It's usually that we're just not looking in the right place or we're too overwhelmed to see everything clearly. Right now, write down all of the opportunities available to you today that could help you make $10,000. Are there speaking engagements you could book? Former clients to follow up with? Prospective clients to follow up with? A product that you can sell on your website? There is money everywhere. 

3. Stay positive. I know, I know. It sounds so cliche. But it's 100% true. A negative mindset = a negative bank account. Two books that I recently read (and have been recommending to all of my clients) are "Working with the Law" by Raymond Holliwell and "The Law of Divine Compensation" by Marianne Williamson. Then there is the classic, "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill, and also "Happy Pocket Full of Money" by David Gikandi. Read these books!!! Reading them with boost your confidence and more importantly, your bottom line. 

The moral of the story is this. You and me, we're the same. You are just as capable of making $10,000 this month - and even more. Follow these three steps and you'll be amazed at the shift that occurs.   

I believe in you. 

To your success!

Jordana
Founder, Embarkability

No comments:

Post a Comment